Sam’s Chop House is an independently-owned bar and restaurant. It has been part of the fabric of Manchester for almost 140 years.
This is Sam’s story in shorthand form.
- Sam’s was established in 1872 by Samuel Studd And originally located in basement premises on Market Street
- Samuel was brother to Thomas Studd – the landlord of Mr Thomas’s Chop House on nearby Cross Street
- Thomas ran both chop houses in the late 19th century when Samuel returned to London
- Sam’s relocated to these premises in the early 1950s
- When the owner was celebrated local adman Bert Knowles
- Under Bert’s guidance Sam’s became one of the pre-eminent business restaurants in the city
- Its customers and staff have been some of the city’s biggest personalities
- Many local societies and clubs were formed in the Chop House – some commemorated on brass plaques on its walls
- Sam’s has also seen many famous patrons over the years & Laurence Lowry’s connection was established before World War One, when he was at Art School together with Bert.
The current owner is Roger Ward
- Like Bert Knowles, he once ran a local advertising agency
- And like Thomas Studd, he now runs both of Manchester’s chop houses